One of the classic catches for fly-fishermen, trout are still a favorite for anglers around the world. Prized for its sport, size and meat, these fish are rewarding game for patient anglers. Here are some of the best places for trout in the world.
- San Juan River, New Mexico: If you are after impressively sized fish, this is the place to go. Known for record-breaking 8 and 9-pounders as well as plenty of 4 and 5-pound catches, this area is popular for good reason. The best time to go is in the off-season, after Labor Day or in early spring.
- Patagonia: This part of Southern Chile is remote, wild and unspoiled. Known for its sea-run brown trout that can tip the scales at 20 pounds, this area is great for fly fishermen who want a traditional, get-away-from-it-all experience in a remote and pristine location. Go in spring when the weather is cool for the best fishing, although it is known to be exceptional all year round.
- Chalk Streams, Hampshire, United Kingdom: There’s no better place for trout fishing than the birthplace of modern fly-fishing. Carefully managed and protected here (you can only fish through privately booked access), the Hampshire streams offer the authentic English fly-fishing experience. The best times to go are in spring and autumn.
- Kamchatka, Russia: If you want to fish the best Rainbow trout in the world, Russia is the place to go. Living out their juvenile years at sea, the returning trout can be up to 8 or 9 years old. The location is remote, featuring some of the most pristine ecosystems in the world and the best time to fish is from mid-July to September.
- Highlands Meander, Mpumalanga, South Africa: Unspoiled fishing waters and rolling hills as far as the eye can see, the Highlands Meander area mimics the Scottish Highlands. Filled with quaint towns and with rivers stocked with Rainbow trout, this international tourist destination is ideal for anglers in the colder months from April to September.
Dolphin Boats: Handcrafted Flats Boats Are Available Internationally
At Dolphin Boats, we’re as passionate about fishing as we are about our expertly crafted flat bottom boats and skiffs. Designed with over 54 years of experience behind them, our hand-crafted shallow water boats will deliver a lifetime of memories, whether you’re fly fishing or simply enjoying the scenery. For more information on flats fishing or our range of specialized Dolphin flats boats, backcountry boats and skiffs for sale, available locally and internationally, please don’t hesitate to contact us today.