With shallow water fishing being a constant favorite for anglers, more and more people are choosing to invest in their own flats boat rather than book regular guided expeditions. But with so much choice out there, how do you find the flats boat that’s right for your needs?
- High grade stainless steel. Anything less than 316 grade stainless steel in your fittings and parts and they’ll be rusting away into nothing within the season. High quality stainless steel parts are essential in salt water, as they offer the durability you’re looking for.
- Craftsmanship: Even in flats boats, you’re putting your life in the hands of the person who built your boat, so it’s important you buy something that is tough, as well as constructed with care. Expert craftsmanship also delivers extra attention to detail, as these experienced builders have used their passion for fishing to bring you a real piece of functional, practical artistry.
- Hull design. This is critical to where it is you want to fish. If shallow water fishing is your game, you need a stable, semi-V hull design. For offshore fishing, a deep-V or powercat design is required.
- Spending the day out on the flats requires you take everything with you, from fishing rods, bait and gear to sunscreen, rain jackets, food and drinks, so making sure your boat has decent storage is important. Dry storage and live bait wells are great features.
- Fuel capacity. For the serious angler, nothing is worse than having to turn down a great fishing spot because you don’t have enough fuel to get there and back. It’s worth doing some research into how large a tank you need to reach your favorite spots before signing on the dotted line.
- Safety features. Your boat’s safety features should enhance your fishing experience while meeting certain safety codes. Features to look for include navigational lights, waterproof switches, fire resistant Coast Guard approved type “A” hoses and non-skid surfaces on the floor and deck.
Handcrafted Shallow Water Skiffs At Dolphin Boats
Dolphin Boats is a small company devoted to the craft of flat bottom boats. Building each boat by hand, we aim to create enduring quality and character through superior craftsmanship and our particular passion for the world of flats and backcountry fishing. For more information on flats fishing or our range of specialized Dolphin flats boats and shallow water skiffs for sale, please don’t hesitate to contact us today.